Rev. Adam E. Schellhase, D.D.
On April 20, 1941, the Rev. Adam E. Schellhase, D.D., became pastor of the Church at a salary of two thousand dollars in 12 equal payments. History records the vote as 74 “for” and 11 “against.” He inherited many challenges, which were met with enthusiasm and devotion by the wonderful teamwork of Dr. and Mrs. Schellhase.
During this period, the country prepared for World War II. The Bethlehem Steel Company developed the Mountainview Section of Hellertown to house some of the new employees who were hired to carry out the production of naval guns, shells, armor plate and other war material. Through the diligent efforts of Dr. Schellhase, church membership grew from 346 to more than 500. The debt of $6,200 was retired in 1943 and the 75th anniversary of the church was commemorated October 11, 1945.
During the years from Pearl Harbor in 1941 to the end of 1945, 115 sons of the church served in the armed service, with five making the supreme sacrifice. Our Church acknowledged “the priceless gift they have laid upon the altar of freedom.” Dr. Schellhase’s warm friendliness and care for everyone was reflected in his work in the Church and in the community. He died December 16, 1946, after a serious illness of several months.8
Our well known Men’s Quartet entertained throughout the Lehigh Valley. It consisted of Baritone – Asher Kichline; Tenor – Robert Taylor; 2nd Tenor – Paul Trumbauer; and Bass – Herbert Weisel. They were accompanied on the piano by Mrs. Leona Weisel. Mr. Ralph Dorshimer was selected that year as organist and choir director, taking over for Blanche Ache and Leona Weisel who served from 1934 – 1943.
Rev. Richard H. Winters
The Rev. Richard H. Winters was installed as Pastor in Spring of 1947. His youthful zeal and pleasing personality soon endeared him to the young and old. He was a forceful preacher and deeply sincere about the meaning of Christian faith in a changing world and the need to take one’s religion more seriously.
After a short period of faithful service, Rev. Winters resigned in August of 1949 to pursue a call to be Chaplin of a large mental institution in the Washington, D.C. area. Also during this period, Richard Schellhase, the son of Dr. and Mrs. Schellhase, was ordained into the Christian ministry, May 25, 1947. 8
Rev. Edward O. Butkofsky, D.D.
The congregation called Rev. Edward O. Butkofsky, D.D., to be the next pastor on September 1, 1949.
In 1951, the New Jerusalem Evangelical and Reformed Church (a union church, also known as Apple’s Church) was dissolved. Our church received, by merger, the members of Apple’s New Jerusalem Church, April 8, 1951.
In December, 1952, the first monthly issue of “The Church News” was mailed to all members. With a steady increase in membership, Dr. Butkofsky saw the need for the expansion of the church facilities and his appeal to the congregation to raise funds to construct a new building met with enthusiastic response. His sermons were masterful and greatly appreciate, as was the time he gave not only for our Church, but for the church at large. Dr. Butkofsky was a Phoebe Home Board member and a member of the committee that formulated the Orders of Worship in the Blue Hymnal, among other Denominational endeavors. He served our congregation until his resignation, December 1, 1954 to accept a call to Salem UCC in Harrisburg, PA.8
“During another interim of pastorates, the services of the Church were carried on by Dr. Howard J.B. Ziegler, of the philosophy department of Lehigh University, Dr. A. Roy Eckardt, head of the department of religion of Lehigh University, Rev. Ernest Miko, of Christ Church, Lower Saucon, and Rev. J. Canfield VanDoren, retired Presbyterian minister, who graciously served wherever they were needed.”2
Rev. Theodore E. Haas
On June 12, 1955, the Rev. Theodore E. Haas, Th.M. was installed as Pastor and shortly thereafter, on June 26, 1955, Robert N. Taylor, Jr., a son of the congregation, was ordained into the Christian ministry. It was during the subsequent period, though the combined efforts of the pastor, building committee, a very enthusiastic congregation and the grace of God, that a new Church School and church addition were realized.8